The Chavonnes Battery is a Visitor Attraction about the early History of Cape Town,
- It includes a Heritage site / museum,
- We host Contemporary International Exhibitions,
- We offer guided tours of the museum,
- and the official V&A Waterfront Historical Walking Tour,
- The exquisite site is suited to presentations and "Old Cape" themed dinners,
- guests have the opportunity to fire an original 18th century Muzzle Loaded Cannon. (Under supervision of the Cannon Association of SA)
It is the only place that you can touch the sand of the original Cape Town shoreline that has been buried for 300 years, the sand Jan Van Riebeeck walked on and all our guides dress in period costume of a 17th century VOC soldier. Time travel with us...
Built in 1724, the first in a range of coastal defence to deter sea-borne aggressors and named after the Governor, its stable firing platform with 16 large cannons enabled gunners to bring accurate fire to bear on hostile ships from its perch as watchdog of the bay.
The Chavonnes Battery was partially demolished in 1860 its stone reused for the Alfred Basin and the Clock Tower was built as its new sentinel. In 1999, the Chavonnes Battery was re-discovered, excavated and conserved in a spectacular example of architectural ingenuity.
Our visitors particularly enjoy:
- The spectacular layout and design of the Heritage Site/museum,
- engaging with knowledgeable staff and tour guides from local communities,
- the thought provoking International Exhibitions,
- the comfortable seating and reading nooks, the hats and taking photos,
- and how insightful they found the experience (click for Trip Advisor Reviews)
The Chavonnes Battery is open 7 days a week from 9 am to 4 pm. The average walk through lasts 30-40 min with ample seating and reading material for longer visits.
The Museum Guided Tour lasts approximately 1 hour and is available daily. Group and School Tours are available on request (up to 60 pax).
The official V&A Waterfront Historical Walking Tour lasts for 2 hours available daily at 11 am and 2 pm (Booking available on Viator)
The Chavonnes Battery is a thriving learning organisation that provides work experience and Tourist Guide training for interns and graduates in Tourism Management with the aim of assisting them to secure employment after.
We are committed to working with passion and pride to deliver a world class experience of the History of Cape Town and all our income and profit is invested in our social goals (youth development).
SA Tourism Lilizela Awards winners for:
National 1st Runner Up – Emerging Tourism Entrepreneur 2015
Provincial Finalist – Visitor Experience
Provincial Finalist – Culture and Heritage Tourist Guide
Tel: 021 416 6230